Sunday, September 14, 2014

Artichoke Mushroom Lasagna






I found this recipe several years ago in a Taste of Home magazine.  I tore it out, knowing it was Monday Meals worthy and that it was right up my alley.  This past week, since the weather cooled off, I fired up my oven and made it for Monday Meals! 

We liked it.  A lot.  Even though my husband says it's "fake" lasagna, since it's not a red sauce.  Whatever.  Red sauce is over-rated.  :).  So if you like mushrooms, cheese, and artichokes, this is totally for you.  If you're weird and don't like any of those things...  Steer clear :).

1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans (14 ounce each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
1 cup white wine (I would have used chicken broth, but I omitted because I pre-cooked my lasagna noodles -- see below)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup white wine (I subbed chicken broth)

Assembly:
9 no-cook lasagna noodles (I used regular and pre-cooked them)
4 cups mozzarella cheese, divided

Saute mushrooms in butter until tender.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Add the artichokes, wine (broth), salt and pepper; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated.

For the sauce, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Stir in Parmesan cheese and wine (broth).

Spread 1 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.  Layer with three noodles, 1 2/3 cups sauce, 1 cup mozzarella and 1 1/3 cups artichoke mixture.  Repeat layers twice.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.  Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

Recipe from Taste of Home April/May 2011.

No comments: