Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Can't-Eat-Just-One Cinnamon Rolls

I love baked goods.  And I love cinnamon rolls.  And I love the Taste of Home magazine.  I put more recipes into my "recipe binder" from a Taste of Home that I happen upon than from anywhere else.  It's probably a tad dangerous for me to come across one.  Because guaranteed I'm going to find about 10 recipes I want to try.

Well, as luck would have it, someone gave me the February/March 2015 Taste of Home to flip through and keep.  Oh my goodness.  And so then I had to make these cinnamon rolls. 

CAN'T-EAT-JUST-ONE CINNAMON ROLLS
1 package (or 2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup water (110 degrees)
1 cup 2% milk
1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding (approx half of a 3.4 ounce box)
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted (I omitted this)
Frosting:  (I made mine more of a glaze and added about 1/2 tablespoon milk -- I also cut this in half)
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon water

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water.  In a bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed 1 minute.  Let stand 1 minute.  Add egg, butter, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium until smooth.  Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough (I used all 3 1/2 cups).

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth, about 6 to 8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

For filing, in a bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.  Punch down dough; divide in half.  Roll each into an 18x10 inch rectangle.  Brush each with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture.  Roll up, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.  Cut each into 12 slices.

Place in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.  Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 20) or until golden brown.  In a bowl, beat frosting ingredients until creamy.  Spread over warm rolls.

Notes:  In addition to what I already noted in the recipe above...  I chose not to cut each half into 12.  I ended up with a total of 16 and I assume they were just bigger than what they otherwise would have been.


Verdict:  They are yummy.  We ate half the pan in less than a day.  And then had to give some away for fear that I would eat the rest (seriously don't need that!).  However, I have another recipe for cinnamon rolls that are overnight cinnamon rolls.  Which means I can do all the the work the night before and then just bake them in the morning.  So I will probably keep using that recipe, because it's amazing too and I like splitting it up.  But these are delicious, and I would otherwise keep making them.

No comments: