Thursday, July 10, 2014

Apple Pie Jelly


A few months ago, I was asked to make apple jelly for an upcoming wedding -- to be given away as wedding favors.  I immediately jumped onto Pinterest to find a good recipe.  And this is the one I decided on.

Let me say, this is a great recipe.  It is easy and quick -- and it tastes delicious.  In fact, since I changed the recipe up (just a tad), I decided to give it a slightly different name and call it Apple Pie Jelly, since my husband commented that it tastes like apple pie.  It is very sweet, though.  So if that's not your thing, you may not enjoy this jelly like we do.

So I mostly stuck with the recipe as found.  But I changed the red-hots (cinnamon candies) to cinnamon.  Also, I always double the original recipe.  So the recipe below is the way I make it every time.


5 1/3 cups apple juice (can use cider)
2 boxes pectin
6 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour apple juice into a large pot and whisk in both boxes of pectin while heating over medium-high heat.  Bring to a hard boil.  Add sugar and cinnamon.  Return to a hard boil and boil a full two minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour into jelly jars and seal according to your preference.  (I usually water bath my jellies, but these jars are small and the lids cannot be water-bathed, so we are doing a wax seal).

Makes about 63 ounces of jelly (or about 4 pints).

I'm thinking I may be sending some apple pie jelly out in Christmas packages this year...

No comments: