Thursday, July 31, 2014

Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheese Skillet Meal


This is just one of those tried and true recipes for my family.  I found it through Pinterest.  Here is the original recipe.

I've made this recipe 4 or 5 times now in the last year.  And I just really like it.  What's not to love about the combination of cheese, chicken, pasta, and broccoli?  For me, nothing :).

I also love that it's stove-top (therefore perfect for summer, in my opinion).  And it's a one-dish meal, so fewer dishes to wash!  And it's not terribly time-consuming to make.  The most tedious part is probably dealing with the raw chicken.  Which I didn't have to do this time, since I used my THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Strips :).

So here's the recipe the way I made it tonight:

1 to 1 1/2 cups THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Strips*
2 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 can cream of chicken soup + 2 cans full of water
black pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Pour cream of chicken soup and water into a large skillet.  Warm over medium-high heat.  Throw in the chicken strips.  Add all other ingredients, except cheese.  Stir together.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.  (Checking to make sure there is enough water at about 15 minutes.)  Stir in cheese until melted and combine.  Allow to heat 2 more minutes.  Serve.

*1 chicken breast can be substituted.  Just cut it into bit size pieces and cook it in the pan in olive oil before adding the soup and water.  The THRIVE just saves me time :).

It's yummy.  My toddler loves it.

No comments: