Wednesday, August 13, 2014

French Bread

I think there are few things finer than freshly baked yeast breads.  Seriously, I could live off of bread (well, my taste-buds could, at least).

Some time ago, I found this recipe through pinterest.  The original recipe is found here.  I follow the recipe exactly -- and it is seriously the best bread ever.

I have actually used some whole wheat flower in a batch (I think I subbed 2 cups whole wheat flour for 2 white).  It's still good, but not nearly as divine.

I love this recipe so much, I actually made several batches of it before it got hot here and froze the loaves so we could enjoy it all summer without heating up the house :).  It is that good.

So, without further ado, here's the recipe (but don't say I didn't warn you if you get addicted):

2 1/2 c. warm water
2 Tbls. yeast

3 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. white vinegar
1 Tbls. salt
1/3 c. oil (I use Canola)
6-7 c. flour

Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and let sit 3 to 5 minutes until a little bubbly and frothy.

Add salt and oil, stir. Add flour one cup at a time until dough is soft, but firm enough to mold into loaves. Put in greased bowl in the oven with a pot of boiling water (boiling water will help keep dough moist). Allow to rise to top of bowl (about 45 minutes) and punch down. Allow to rise again. Do this 2 to 5 times (as you have time available).

Empty dough out onto a greased surface and separate into two equal parts. Form into rectangular/french bread loaves and slash each loaf on top 3 to 5 times. Allow to rise 30 minutes or until they reach the size you want. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 375.

Recipe makes 2 large loaves or 3 medium sized loaves.  The loaves freeze really well.
Tonight I served this with a hearty vegetable soup.  I used a lot of my THRIVE for the soup, making it a fast and easy meal.  You can find that recipe (the way I made it) here.

No comments: