Thursday, April 3, 2014

Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner


4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
 
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoning mix.  Place 1/2 cup of the potatoes on center of each of 4 large sheets of aluminum foil; top each with 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup of cheese and 2 tablespoons salsa.
2.  Bring up foil sides.  Double fold top and both ends to seal each packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside.  Place in single layer in 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
3.  Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.  Remove packets from oven.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Place 1 packet on each of 4 plates.  Cut slits in foil with sharp knife to release steam before opening.  Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
 
Recipe from kraftfoods.com

Personal Notes:  Because this is a Kraft recipe, the ingredients called for are all specific to their brand.  I just used what I had.  We eat meat, but not a lot of it, so I cut one large chicken breast in thirds and only made 3 foil packs.  I forgot to add the sour cream.  And I don't feel 25 minutes was sufficient time (for either the chicken or the potatoes).  I ended up finding that out after I opened mine to eat it.  I decided to put it back in (open) before eating any of it.  I put them in for another 15 minutes, making a total of 40.  And I had small pieces of chicken, so using a whole piece would, I think, definitely require more cook time.

Verdict:  Keep.  I liked the flavor, and it was easy.  I don't think it's something I'll make often, but I think it will be a fun every-once-in-a-while dinner.  And it may seem fun and exciting to kids as they get a little older.  So I'm always looking for fun and different things to do with my kids.

No comments: