Friday, May 16, 2014

Avena Drink

Yesterday was the last -- and hottest -- day of our yucky hot stretch (this time).  I'm predicting a hot summer, based on two hot stretches in May. 

So I decided it would be nice to have a cold, refreshing treat in the evening (when the house is the least comfortable).  And since I was browsing through Pinterest and my "liquid yumminess" pins...   I decided making Avena was a great solution!

I actually hunted down this drink online after going to a Mexican place for dinner with my sweetie one night and drinking Horchata.  It reminded me of Avena, which I'd had in 2008 when I was visiting Panama with my dad.  We stopped at a gas station and I purchased a little milk carton of Avena (I think it was Borden brand, but I could be wrong).  I couldn't remember ever drinking it when I was living in Panama years before, but when I tasted it in 2008...  Oh my goodness!  So delicious! 

So I searched online to see if I could find a recipe.  And I hit pay dirt!!!  True, it's not quite as wonderful as the stuff I got in Panama.  But it's close -- and the best I can do.  So it makes me happy :).

And I figured I'd share it, my personal tips, and the link with the original recipe!  And a picture, of course.

 

½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
4 cups milk
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
Pinch ground cloves
3 ½ tablespoons sugar
 
Place the water, milk and oatmeal in a medium pot over medium heat and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.

Add the cinnamon stick, ground cloves and sugar and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 more minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.

Place the oatmeal mixture in a plastic container and refrigerate for a least 3 hours.

Discard the cinnamon stick and place the mixture in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Add more water if you like a thinner consistency.

Serve cold.
 
Personal Notes:  I never have cinnamon sticks, so I just use ground cinnamon and leave it in and blend it in.  I use 1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons.  This last time, I didn't put as much cinnamon in, and I wished I'd added more (I tend to not measure, so I sprinkled a little shy...).  I think it's better to let it sit overnight (though yesterday I didn't), because it definitely thickens it more.

No comments: