Thursday, May 29, 2014

Cheddar Zucchini Mini Muffins

Ever since Lynnaea became a toddler (which happened before her 1st birthday, though I hate to admit it...), I've wanted to come up with healthy snacks for her.  I felt it was important to get her eating on a regular schedule -- 3 meals and 2 snacks.  But, being that I'm not super-creative and that I'm a first-time mom...  I wasn't very good at coming up with things to offer her for a snack.  (Heck, it took me a while to realize all the meal foods I could give her!). 

So I turned to Pinterest.  Because that's just how I roll.  And I came across this recipe for cheddar zucchini bread. 

I love this recipe for a number of reasons:

1.  It uses some whole wheat flour.  I want Lynnaea to realize that eating "brown" bread is better than eating white bread.  I want her to not throw a fit about eating wheat bread.  We have a lot of whole wheat at our house, because my husband grinds his own wheat to make his own bread.  I also have lots of all-purpose white flour, because I use it for baking other thing.  But still...  I've gotten used to making a lot of things (like pizza dough) with a mixture of both (which this recipe calls for both), and I want Lynnaea to grow up accepting that as just the way it is.  It's better for her anyway.

2.  It uses zucchini.  Which I categorize in the vegetable category.  And this means I can get extra veggies into her.  Plus, I still have frozen shredded zucchini in the deep freezer.  With 3 zucchini plants in the garden already.  And I'm hoping for another amazing harvest.

3.  I read the reviews and noticed I could cut back the salt significantly.  I grew up eating high-sodium foods.  Not a bunch of stuff out of a can, mind you.  But when a recipe (like arroz con pollo) called for a tablespoon of salt...  My mom added a tablespoon of salt.  And until I got married, it never occurred to me that that was a lot.  So I've been trying to cut back on the amount of salt in small ways.  Like using home-made broths in place of canned broths when I have it in the freezer.  Or replacing some of the broth with water.  I mean, I still want my food to taste good.  That's important to me.  But if I can healthify it even a little...  I'd like to do that.  For me, and for my kiddo.

Anyway, here's the recipe.  The only thing I did was bake in mini-muffin tins to make them toddler-friendly.  And I froze most of them, so I can take them out a little at a time.



Zucchini Cheddar Mini Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup
all purpose flour
1 teaspoon
baking soda
1 teaspoon
baking powder
1 teaspoon
salt
2 cups
grated zucchini\
1 1/2 cups
grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup
chopped scallions
3/4 cup
buttermilk
2
large eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add in the zucchini, cheese, and scallions and toss to coat.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into a greased mini muffin tins and bake for 20 - 22 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. Cool and serve.
  6. * Loaves can be cooled, wrapped in plastic wrap or foil, placed in freezer bags, labeled and frozen for up to 3 months. Place in refrigerator overnight to defrost. 
Note:  I changed the cook time to apply to mini muffins.  Also, I didn't have buttermilk.  But a quick google search will tell you how much regular milk to use, in addition to either vinegar or lemon juice.  I used lemon juice.  Worked great.  And my munchkin loves these.

No comments: