Saturday, May 31, 2014

Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette

So I am of the opinion that, when it's hot outside, and there's no air conditioning inside (unfortunately), the oven should never be used. Which means I think my baking days are probably done until September.  Which is sort of a bummer.  But I'm really not willing to heat up my house for a batch of cookies.  And even less so for lasagna. 

So I've been making my bi-weekly menus with no-bake meals.

And, in other news, we heard and read that something went awry with the beef this year, so there will be less of it.  And, due to the great law of supply and demand, that means it'll be more expensive.  Ground beef happens to be one of our staples.  But since I haven't been seeing it for less than $3.99 per pound (I get the extra lean kind), and since I am still (much to my husband's chagrin) unwilling to discuss eating rabbit...  Well, I have started looking up meatless meals.  And it's not that we eat a ton of meat anyway.  He and I usually eat a third of a chicken breast these days.  But even so...  The ground beef was a staple.  But I don't want to chop off a couple fingers or a leg to pay for it. 

So that's how I wound up with this recipe.  I found it on Pinterest, but this is the site it is on originally. 


* = good source of fiber
 
Quinoa Salad
1 cup dry quinoa *
2 cups vegetable broth or filtered water
¼ cup cilantro, stems removed
1 cup black beans *
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed *
1 tomato, diced *
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and diced
½ lime
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
8 cups mixed greens

Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
¼ cup cilantro leaves, no stems
½ tbsp. raw (local, if possible) honey (if vegan, substitute with maple syrup or palm sugar)
1/8 tsp. Celtic sea salt
1 clove fresh chopped garlic
1 ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
 
1. In a saucepan, combine quinoa and vegetable broth/water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa softens and liquid evaporates – about 15-20 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare vinaigrette by placing lime juice, white wine vinegar, cilantro, honey, salt, garlic, and Dijon mustard into a blender and processing until smooth. While blender is running, add olive oil in a slow steady stream until blended and thickened, about 15 seconds.
3. Once quinoa has softened and liquid has evaporated, remove from heat, cool, and place in a large bowl.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except for mixed greens, and mix gently to combine.
5. Divide mixed greens evenly among four plates, top with quinoa mixture, drizzle with vinaigrette, and serve.
 
Personal Notes:  I didn't use as much chili powder, since I planned to give some to my toddler.  I left out the jalapeno for the same reason.  I forgot to cook the quinoa in broth.  And I don't understand what is meant by 1/2 a lime in the ingredients for the salad... I squeezed half a lime and used the juice in the salad. Plus I used the lime juice called for in the dressing.  I didn't have white wine vinegar, so used red.  I used maple syrup instead of honey, again because of my 1 year old.  I also ended up adding probably a whole tablespoon of maple syrup by the time it was all said and done.  Rather than drizzle the dressing, I just mixed it into the salad.  After eating this as a main dish, I think -- for me -- it would need to be a side dish if I ever made it again (which I won't -- see below).
 
Verdict:  Discard.  I did not enjoy this at all.  And maybe it was all the changes I made (though I didn't feel they were that drastic).  Or maybe I didn't have enough dressing (I doubled the salad, but not the dressing).  I taste-tested the dressing before adding it to the salad (and before adding more maple syrup) and it was way too vinegar/lime juice-y.  So I added more sweetener.  But I still was unimpressed.  I mean, it wasn't barf-inducing, but I am sad I have so much of it to have to eat.  And I won't be making it again.  I don't know what it was about it, but this definitely was not enjoyable to me.  We'll see what the husband says when he eats it tonight after work.

No comments: